Tuesday, May 3, 2016

3 Take-Aways After A Month of Albarino

Every week in April I was amazed at the Albarino wine I tasted.  All unique, all similar yet very different.

The wines tasted in the program I am taking part in were 100% Albarino.( We are moving to Albarino blends in May, so more to come on this wonderful wine and wine region.) Some had more acid than others. Even the profile on each one was different. Some I liked more than others.  What I did realize from this first month of tastings is I like the acidity in the Albarino more than I like when it was toned down. Personal preference goes with personal wine making style..

Three take-aways from the past month:

  • Albarino is cold soaked. Before fermentation the grapes are cold soaked to bring out the more aromatic character and flavors of the grape. Sometimes the wine may be perceived as more fruit friendly and complex.  Albarino is usually cold soaked for a couple of days
  • Vintage wise it's best to drink Albarino one year after the vintage date.
  • Albarino will age 3-5 years


This week I tasted 2 very different Albarino wines and paired it with a pork roast. Very easy recipe...I put the pork roast in the pan with cut up potatoes, mushrooms, green pepper. Poured about 1/2 cup of Albarino (I used the Veiga Naum 2014) seasoned with garlic, parsley, fresh sage and tarragon from the garden, salt and pepper.  Baked at 400 for 40 minutes then at 325 for 1 hour.  

2014 Veiga Naum Albarino - Minerally with aromas of wet stone, white flowers, green apple and ocean spray.  A bit tart on the palate with citrus, green apple, lime, hint of stone fruit and a touch of salinity. It was a bit mellow and not as acidic as others.  Very food friendly. SRP $15

2014 ATTIS Xion Albarino - Very aromatic, minerally, dry and delish.  Complex aromas of pear, green apple, passion fruit, fill the glass.  You can taste the minerality of this wine along with green apple, pear combined with soft acidity and a touch of honey. Nice for the summer pool party. SRP 13.86

If you should happen to taste any of these wines please let me know your thoughts over on my Facebook page.  Would love to hear from you.




No comments: