Friday, January 9, 2026

From First Sip to Certification: Why Cava Remains One of My Favorite Sparkling Wines


 

I’m thrilled to share a milestone in my wine journey—I’ve officially passed the Cava Educator Class and received my Cava Educator Certificate from the Cava Academy. 🥂

If you know me, you know I’ve always had a soft spot for sparkling wine, and Cava holds a very special place in my heart. It’s one of those wines that still feels under the radar, even though it delivers incredible quality, history, and value.



Why I Love Cava

Cava is Spain’s traditional-method sparkling wine, and so much has changed since I first began my wine journey. Early on, I tasted a Cava that completely surprised me—in the best way. Crisp, complex, and food-friendly, it absolutely wowed me. It quickly earned a spot on the wine list at my restaurant, where it became a go-to recommendation.

What makes Cava especially exciting today is how much the region has evolved:

  • Greater focus on terroir and vineyard expression

  • Stricter aging requirements and quality tiers

  • More transparency around origin and production

  • A renewed emphasis on craftsmanship

And let’s talk value—Cava often comes in at about half the cost of Champagne. Don’t get me wrong, I love Champagne, but there’s room in my glass (and my heart) for both. 



The Journey to Becoming a Cava Educator

Last March, I enrolled in the Cava Academy, excited to formally deepen my knowledge. Then… restaurant life happened. I was ready to take the exam in May, but things got busy (as they tend to do).

Recently, I finally carved out the time to revisit my notes, dive back into the material, and take the exam—and I’m proud to say I passed. I’m now officially a Cava Educator, and I couldn’t be happier.

What’s Next

This is just the beginning. I’m excited to continue digging deeper into:

  • Cava’s evolving classifications

  • Indigenous Spanish grape varieties

  • The broader wines of Spain, which deserve far more love and attention

If you’re curious about Cava and want to learn more, I’d love to share that knowledge with you.

✨ I’m available to host a Cava class—either in person or online.
Just reach out: debbie@hudsonvalleywinegoddess.com

Here’s to celebrating Cava, Spain, and lifelong learning—one sparkling glass at a time. 🍾🥂

No comments: