If you had asked me years ago what I thought of Freixenet, I probably would have smiled and pictured that familiar black bottle of Cava sitting on the liquor store shelf. It was inexpensive, reliable, and, let's be honest, one of those bottles many of us picked up when you were young and broke.
So when I received a bottle of Freixenet Elyssia Gran Cuvée as part of my Certified Cava Educator course, I had to admit I was a little skeptical.
My first thought?
"Well...it has to be good if they included it in the certification program."
I tucked the bottle away until a weekend trip to Plymouth, Massachusetts, to visit my high school friend Sharon. Mother Nature had other plans for us that Saturday. Rain kept us indoors, so we decided to make the best of it by baking a blueberry galette and, of course, popping the cork.
A Different Side of Freixenet
This wasn't the Freixenet I remembered.
Elyssia is produced as Freixenet's premium expression of Cava, and the name itself sets the tone. Derived from the Latin word Elysium, Elyssia means "a state of absolute happiness" or "paradise." After tasting it, I'd say the name fits beautifully.
The wine is a blend of:
- Macabeo
- Parellada
- Chardonnay
- Pinot Noir
This combination gives the wine both traditional Cava character and a bit more richness and elegance than many people expect from the brand.
In the Glass
Freixenet Elyssia Gran Cuvée pours with a lively, persistent stream of tiny bubbles and offers an inviting floral bouquet.
On the palate it was surprisingly elegant, featuring:
- Creamy mouthfeel
- Acacia blossom
- Bright citrus fruit
- A delicate hint of strawberry
- Fresh acidity that keeps everything balanced
The wine spends a minimum of 10 months aging on the lees, giving it that lovely creamy texture while still maintaining freshness and vibrant fruit.
Pairing It with a Rainy Afternoon
Our homemade blueberry galette made for a wonderful rainy-day project, and the Cava paired nicely with it.
That said, I couldn't help thinking the wine would have been even better alongside a peach galette or one featuring red fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or cherries. Those flavors would have echoed the wine's subtle strawberry note and allowed both the dessert and the wine to shine a little brighter.
Of course, sitting in the living room catching up with a lifelong friend may have been the best pairing of all.
Wine Facts
Wine: Freixenet Elyssia Gran Cuvée Cava
Region: Penedès, Spain
Classification: Cava
Grapes:
- Macabeo
- Parellada
- Chardonnay
- Pinot Noir
Aging: Minimum 10 months on the lees
Tasting Notes:
- Acacia blossom
- Citrus fruit
- Hint of strawberry
- Creamy mouthfeel
- Fine persistent bubbles
Food Pairings:
- Peach galette
- Strawberry tart
- Triple cream cheeses
- Roast chicken
- Seafood paella
- Grilled shrimp
- Brunch favorites
No comments:
Post a Comment