Monday, March 16, 2015

Best Ham Steak Pairing

Ham steak is something I've never made before.  The reason, my mom use to make it and it was dry. She threw it in a pan, seared it and served it.  I had purchased a ham steak thinking I can try my hand at it. And so I did.

My daughter came home from college for spring break and wanted fillet mignon.  Unfortunately I didn't have any in the freezer, but I did have a ham steak.  I know there is no  comparison, but it is what had to do.  Her other request was my mashed potatoes.

I knew I was not going to put this in the frying pan and I didn't.  What I did was line a baking sheet with foil.  You might want to double line it.  Soak the ham steak in 2 cups of beer for 2 hours.  Then put the steak on the cookie sheet.  Mix together 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup beer. Pour over ham steak and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

What to pair with the ham. I pulled out a Ken Wright 2012 Canary Hill Pinot Noir.  It had wonderful notes of red plum, bright red cherry with a hint of clove. Light tannins and nice acidity made this wine a nice match for ham.

SRP $65 but well worth it.

No comments: