Sunday, November 18, 2007

Two Howell Mountain - Napa Valley Cabs



Last night we opened two 1999 Howell Mountain Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignons. One was from Pine Ridge the other from Goosecross.

Two wines from the same region, same vintage, but tasted completely different.

The Goosecross had an elegant nose of vanilla and blackberries. On the tongue it had intense cherry and black currant. It finished with soft tannins. This wine is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon with 85% of the Cab from Howell Mountain and 15% from Napa Vally. I loved the strong cherry flavor!

The Pine Ridge was more structured and chewy. It was a blend of 94% Howell Mountain Cab, 4% Merlot and 2% Malbec. The flavors weren't as strong in this wine. It had hints of cherry and black current.

I personally enjoyed the Goosecross Cab better. I like my wine fruit forward and the cherry flavors were wonderful. However, my husband enjoyed the Pine Ridge.

Two Cabs, two people, two different tastes.

No comments: