Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Kitchen Wine: Pecorino




Is it wine or is it cheese? It’s both. The more I drink Pecorino the more I realize I need to stock this in my cellar for an everyday white.


The Pecorino grape is native to the Ascoli Piceno province in the March region of Italy. It grows best on the mid-mountain slopes that experience wide temperature variations. The grape ripens early and has great structure and character.


2019 Saladini Pilastri Offida Pecorino DOCG is a nice crisp white wine. Floral aromas of Morning Glorie escape from the glass with a hint of lemon meringue. Tha palate has fresh acidity, lemon taffy and zest with a hint of pear.


Chef’s Pairing Suggestions: Asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto, Aspargus sauteed with oil and butter and sprinkled with a little Pecorino cheese, Seafood Risotto, Lobster Thermidor, Tuna Nicoise, Spinach salad with pancetta, shaved shallots, sprouts and raspberries finished iwth a Dijon lemon white balsamic dressing.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I was only able to get my hands on one-two Pecorinos the last time I was in Italy. Amazed I found them at all actually since I was in entirely the wrong region. But that was enough to turn me into a fan!