Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Kitchen Wine: Passaggio Chenin Blanc 2018



I don’t know when or how I met Cindy or when was the first time I tried her wines, but I was impressed! When I was out in Santa Rosa in 2017 for the Wine Media Conference, I stopped and spent a hour or so with Cindy and tasted through her portfolio. My case arrived home shortly after I did that year. When I shared the wines with my husband he was always so impressed. He always commented “whoever makes this wine is a good winemaker!” So I broke down and joined her wine club.


Passaggio isn’t your typical California winery. It’s not all about Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. In fact she has some interesting blends and varietals that won’t disappoint.


We shared her 2018 Passaggio Chenin Blanc in the kitchen with Chef Gus. Cindy sources the grapes for this Chenin Blanc from Heringer Estates in Clarksburg, California. Clarksburg is about 15 miles south of Sacramento located on the banks of the Sacramento river.


The wine had beautiful aromas of green apple, wet slate and fresh cut grass. The palate begins with some white peach that hits your tongue and is gone and finishes with green apple. A delightful wine.


Chef’s Pairing Suggestions: Cheese plate with hard salty cheese and good aged cheese. Try it with Provencal Style Rabbit.


If you are in Sonoma, make an appointment to visit Passaggio. The tasting room is located in Sonoma Plaza and are by appointment only.

No comments: