Cabernet Franc Day is spearheaded by Lori Budd of Dracaena Wines. She has created a website all about Cab Franc Day . It needs its own day of celebration just like all the other grapes.
Here is some information about Cabernet Franc and what makes it special
- The grape originated in the Loire Valley
- It's one of the 5 grapes found in the classic Bordeaux Blend
- The union between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc produced Cabernet Sauvignon
- It's lighter in color and tannins than Cabernet Sauvignon
- Some of the aromas you will find coming from your glass are: tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violets, earth, cigar box
- Some fruit you will find on your palate included cranberries and red cherries
- It will age well 3 to 5 years. Although I had a 10 year old Cabernet Franc recently that was very good.
On December 4th join all Cabernet Franc lovers in conversation on twitter and facebook. Hashtag your posts #cabrancday and tell us what Cabernet Franc you are drinking and how your like it. If you are on twitter join the conversation at 8pm with #CabFrancDay and chat about the grape and what's in your glass with everyone.
What will I be drinking. A Hudson Valley Cabernet of course. It will be a toss up between Millbrook, Whitecliff, Fjord and Tousey. If I find any other buried in my cellar I will add them to the choices. See you online December 4.
Below is a Facebook live video I created for the event. Not the best video as my phone was horizontal and not vertical. Lesson learned.