Friday, July 22, 2016

Pairing Pinot Grigio and Striper



Being that I am not a big Pinot Grigio fan, when I was asked to taste this Astoria "Alisia Pinot Grigio IGT wine I accepted the challenge and opened up my palate.

Astoria Wines was founded in 1987 by Paolo and Giorgio Polegato and they pride themselves on the quality of their wines. They have forty acres in Italy's northeast region of Veneto.  The Pinot Grigio is grown on vines between 8 and 14 years old and 400 - 600 feet above sea level.

Light straw in color I was looking forward to pairing this with the Striper I caught a few weeks back.  The wine had a soft aromas of hay and hints of minerality. The palate showed pineapple and peach with a soft mouth feel and hints of honeycomb.

It was the perfect pairing with the Striper. I prepared the Striper in a foil packet for the grill.  It had been frozen with a rub of olive oil and fresh tarragon from the garden. I chopped up some veggies and added that to the foil pack along with some salt, pepper, lemon and a little Pinot Grigio.  The Alisia really complimented the fish!


No comments: