Monday, January 18, 2016

The Dog Ate My Tasting Notes

We've all heard the excuses "the dog ate my homework." Well the dog actually did eat the corner of my son's homework once.  I should have know that would lead to be a problem.

I had the tasting notes for the Cecchi wines I had tasted sitting on my desk with my camera on on top of it.  Summer (my dog) was in the hands of my husband who knows of her past. Summer must have been very mad at me for leaving for a few days.  When I returned on Saturday I sat at my desk to write up the tastings and my tasting notes were gone.  The only thing left were two of the recipe cards that came with the wine.

When I inquired, Paul told me not only did she eat the tasting notes, but she knocked down the camera onto the floor to get to the paper. My answer was, why did you let the dog in my office.  I guess she went in there when I went out.  Lame excuse, close the door to my office.

So I am retrieving these tasting notes from deep in my brain guided with the pictures of the wonderful Bolognese pairing.

First a little bit about Cecchi. Luigi Cecchi was a professional wine taster in Italy and understood the potential of making Italian wine.  In the early 1900's his son Cesare joined him and gave life to the first mass marketing of wine with the Cecchi label.


2012 Cecchi Chianti Classico is made with 90% Sangiovese grapes. It was fermented in stainless steel tanks for 7 days and aged for 11 months. Upon bottling,, it was aged another 2 months before being released.  The wine had a beautiful garnet color with aromas of berries. It had nice structure with flavors of cherry and a hint of anise.

2013 Cecchi Sangiovese is 90% Sangiovese and 10% Merlot. Fermented in stainless steel tanks for 15 days.  Aged in the tanks then released 2 months after bottling. Aromas of violets and a hint at spice filled the glass.  A bit on the fruity side with strawberry notes.

The moral of my "Dog ate my tasting notes" is make sure you keep your office door closed when you leave.  That way when you dog get pissed off at you because you have left her, she will hopefully find something else to destroy.


No comments: