On of the largest single vineyard states in the Central Otago region of New Zealand, Amisfield produces Pinot Noir and aromatic white wines beneath the Pisa Mountain range in Cromwell Basin. They produce over 20,000 cases of wine per year with over 60% of the production in Pinot Noir. The other 40% consists of Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Riesling.
The Amisfield 2014 Sauvignon Blanc had a beautiful aroma of grapefruit with a hint of pineapple. What struck me as with many of the Sauvignon Blanc's I tasted that day was how soft the grapefruit notes were on the palate. Meaning it didn't destroy my palate. Some of this Sauvignon Blanc was put into neutral oak barrels for 6 months and it really helped with the mouth feel without taking away from the wine.
The 2013 Amisfield Pinot Gris had aromas of quince and orange blossom filled my glass. The wine had very nice structure with a nice crisp finish.
In 2011 they had a cool vintage and the 2011 Amisfield Pinot somewhat reflects it. The nose was full of red cherry and some baking spices. Light on the palate with lots of dark fruit and spicy cinnamon on the finish.
The 2012 Amisfield Pinot Noir was a bit more of a serious wine than the 2011. Lots of fresh red fruit on the nose. The palate was full of ripe red fruit with hints of baking spices.
Overall these wines ranged in price from $20 to $35.