- Established in 50BC
- Located in the Ebro Valley, just west of Priorat
- D.O.P Carinena has more old vine Garnacha than any other region in Spain
- 3 Co-ops make the majority of D.O.P Carinena Garnacha from 50-100 year old vines.
- 1863 while Phylloxera began destroying 90% of European vineyards, Carinena was unaffected.
- D.O.P Carinena ancient stone soils and high altitude makes it ideal for growing Granacha
- Wines made from the lower altitude plantings will be fruitier, while wines made from higher altitude will be more complex.
The next few weeks I will be introducing you to the Co-ops that produce the wine from this region. You will be glad to know that the wines are very affordable. Prices range between $9.99 and $27