Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Notes From the Captain Lawrence Tasting Room: The Brewery Man

(Sung to the tune of “The Piano Man”)

It’s 4 o’clock on a Sunday
The regulars file in for a brew
They want porters and ales and Point Proven pilsner
And that Frost Monster imperial stout too.

Tarrytown’s Ryan Shaw brought his father Jeff
Kids Oliver and Ella too tagged along.
Ryan says, “I naively thought we’d be outside.”
But his take on the weather was wrong.

Still it’s three generations of Shaw dudes
A pretty good show by the clan.  
Jeff says it was four on vacation, a cause for celebration
When they hung with his 91-year-old man.

Pour me a beer, you’re the brewery man
Pour me a beer right away.
Just give me a sample of Freshchester
One chip I gladly will pay.  

David Ergenc too lives in Tarrytown
But his accent reveals he is Swiss
And pal Monika Sekvencova hails from Astoria
As a Czech, she is no Swiss miss.


She has the wheat ale they call Twang
Featuring tangerine peels, it’s a real feast
Monika sips on the brew, pauses a moment or two
Then says, “I can sure taste the yeast.”

David opted for the India Pale Ale
He prefers his beers with big hops.
He says, “It’s piney and floral”, to spill it’s immoral
Since the Hop Commander’s flavor really pops.

Oh, pour me a beer, Mr. Brewery Man
Pour me a deep, dark Smoked Porter.
Forget about that doofus ahead me
Just hurry up with my own order.

Now Mike and Gabby Smith are from Hartsdale
They drove straight to CL after skiing.  
Mike says that the hills, and winter time’s chills
Are essentially his reason for being.


He has 12 ounces of Frost Monster
While Gabby has a cup of Pale Ale
Some find winter vicious, but Mike thinks it’s delicious
I bet he’d probably love Vail.

Oh, pour me some beer, Mr. Brewery Man
Fill up my cup right up this second.
Cuz the Kolsch and the Twang and the Liquid Gold
All temptingly, tantalizingly beckon.

Flora Rodriguez heard of the Captain on the radio
The station was WHUD--100.7.
She told Alex Slupatchuk, Joe Downs and Pat Flick
That the brewery simply sounded like heaven.


And so they schlepped all the way from Connecticut
To check out Captain Lawrence for themselves.
And sample the potables, see which are most notable
And perhaps pick out some merch from the shelves.

Oh, fill up my growler, Mr. Brewery Man
Then I’ll be off, on my way.
To sip from my gallon while watching Jimmy Fallon
And thinking of the fun I had today.

Yes, winter will soon be a memory
And the snow finally gone from the grass.
We’ll sit on the patio, play some bocce, Daddy-o,
Count our blessings as you fill up our glass.



No comments: