Monday, December 16, 2013

Carmelo Patti: An Argentina Cult Wine

Back on April 17th I was out at a Women & Wine on Wednesday event at Cru Club Wine Bar in Rhinebeck, NY.  I guess I should have written about this back in April or May, because it looks like Cru Club has closed.  That is to bad, as it was a nice place and Gerard was nice, generous and the hospitality was great!

After many of the group left, I was telling Gerard it was "National Malbec Day" and he disappeared into the back and came out with a 2004 Carmelo Patti Malbec.  We toasted and celebrated Malbec day, but what I didn't realize was Carmelo Patti is an Argentina 'cult wine'. The flavors and mouth feel of this wine, I could tell it was at its peak. One more year and I felt it would begin to lose its fruit, as it was showing its muscles in a soft elegant way.

Carmelo Patti is an Italian-born winemaker and makes all his wines single handed. He is the chief bottler, winemaker, vineyard manager and tour guide.

His wines are held until he decides they are ready for release.  This can be 4 to 5 years after harvest.  He has devoted his life to winemaking and it shows in the quality of this wine.  Looking forward to getting my hands on some of his other productions.

No comments: