Monday, May 6, 2013

Tousey Winery's Rose and Riesling Release Party

A couple of Saturdays ago I drove up to Tousey Winery for their Rose & Riesling Release Party.  I had found out about the party when  I was attending an event at Cru Club Wine Bar in Rhinebeck.

On this beautiful Saturday I set forth for the ride to Germantown to do some Rose and Riesling tasting.

We began the tasting with the 2012 Rebellion Rose that was 100% Blaufrankisch. Aromas of red berry and strawberry filled my glass.  It was quite delightful! The palate was just bursting with bright red fruit.

Many of you may know that I have been trying to find a Rose that I like.  I can tell you this is up there and I've personally been quite pleased with the Rose wines that Ben has been making.

Rebellion Rose retails for $16

Now we moved on to the Riesling wines.  There were two, one dry and one semi-sweet.

The 2012 Dry Riesling had a beautiful nose of honeysuckle peach and pear.  The aromas reminded me of the smell of walking on the beach on a nice spring day.

Stone fruit filled the palate with slight minerality.  I was really enjoying the taste of this wine when I noticed it was time for the next Riesling.  This is a great summer Riesling.

This Riesling retails for $21 and is made from Estate Grown 100% Hudson Valley Riesling

The last wine tasted was the Semi-Sweet Riesling. These grapes were picked 3 weeks later than the dry Riesling grapes. They were left out there longer so that their sugar content would be a bit higher.

I didn't find the aromas in this wine quite as strong as the dry Riesling. It was almost like the sweetness in the wine took away from the aroma.  The wine had aromas of apricot and soft peach.  Flavors of apricot filled my mouth and it had a nice creamy texture and didn't show as much minerality as the dry Riesling.

I am a bit sensitive to sweetness levels in a wine and guessed the residual sugar was between 1.5% and 2%. Well I think Ben was quite surprised when I approached the subject because the residual sugar is 1.7%.

The wine isn't overly sweet and was quite enjoyable.  Would pair very well with a spicy seafood dish!

The Semi-Sweet Riesling retails for $19 and is made from Estate Grown 100% Hudson Valley Riesling.

No comments: