Thursday, January 31, 2013

Loin's Drift 2009 Pinotage

I really like Pinotage and my affair began when Jill brought a Pinotage to wine night many years ago.  Everyone that night liked it and months later, nobody could remember what the name of the wine is.  So now we keep a wine journal. That was my introduction to the grape.  Now I am introducing it to others.

This Pinotage was sent to me by the importer after I had expressed my interest in the grape.  I thought what a great way to share this wine, but with my wine class.

Pinotage is grown in South Africa and is a cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut.  Lion's Drift is produced from Silkbush Mountain Vineyards in South Africa and the 2009 vintage is their second Pinotage vintage.

Silkbush believes the their wine should reflect their terrior.  Their farm is 341acres in Breedekloof in the Western Cape.

I thought the wine was nice with a mix of red and dark berry fruit,a hint of smoke and a little thin on the mouth feel.  Never mind my review, I will hand the review off to the couple in my class who loved it.  (I apologize for the quality of the video.  Not sure if it was the lighting or the videographer, me) They were so excited because I let them leave with the leftover Pinotage.


1 comment:

Alana Gentry (@girlwithaglass) said...

I'm glad your students enjoyed being introduced to Lion's Drift 2009 Pinotage. It's available in a few states now and more to come. To learn more about the estate and watch videos, go on over to the Silkbush site, http://silkbush.com. Cheers~