Monday, December 12, 2011

The Sky is the Limit

Note: I received this as a sample right off the bottling line from Whitecliff Vineyards, hence there is no label.  I did wait two weeks before I opened it so the bottle shock wouldn't be so harsh.

The Sky Island is Whitecliff's Bordeaux blended wine.  (A red blend of 5 grapes grown in the Bordeaux region of France Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc)  This Sky Island blend is 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Cabernet Franc, 32% Merlot 4% Malbec and 4% Petit Verdot.

We decanted the wine because it was so young. As we decanted it, I got an immediate nose of Petit Verdot - the black fruits and blackberry really stood out. Along with the dark fruit there was some oak that was apparent on the nose.

One sip and you get a mouth full of dark fruit flavors. As the wine opens up black cherry begins to stand out. There is a strong black pepper finish (which I love) on the wine that just lingers a bit on your palate.   It's a nice full bodied, strong wine.

This wine is young and I would suggest holding on to it for a year or two.  It sells for $24.95 in their tasting room.




No comments: