Friday, November 11, 2011

Other Wines in the House - Gruner Veltliner

Gruner Veltliner is a grape grown in Austria and is mostly found in the Weinviertel region in lower Austria.  Vineyards growing Gruner Veltliner are located in the Wachau and Wagram areas as well as parts of Burgnland and Vienna. The Gruner Veltliner grape is recently being cultivated in the Finger Lakes region of New York.

I tasted the 2010 Leth Gruner Veltliner for a wine chat last week.  It's from the Wagram region of Austria. This is the first Gruner I've had from Austria.  I found it very aromatic with hints of minerality.

The wine was very acidic with flavors of tart green apple and lime.  As the wine opened the tart green apple turned into a jolly rancher.  There was a lot of minerality in the wine which gave it a flinty taste and the finish had notes of white pepper.

The price of this was was $15.99.

2 comments:

rager4me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rager4me said...

This truly is a very aromatic wine. It is often rare to find but it is nice and crisp. I used it one year as wine giftsto hand out to my friends after a winter party.