Friday, September 30, 2011

The Other Wines in the House - Where's the Spice

Cabernet Franc is one of my favorite varietals of wine.  What I enjoy most about it is the spice finish.  Usually black pepper.  Something about that spice brings excitement to me.

I opened a 2006 Goosecross Cabernet Franc and was looking for that excitement.  Unfortunately I didn't get it but I got a whole lot of other flavors.

There was 575 cases of this wine made.  It is 93% Cabernet Franc with 5% Merlot and it aged for 16 months in French Oak.

The aroma of this wine was cherry with some spice and vanilla.  Ok I got my spice in the nose, but I wanted it on the finish.

On the palate there was cherry with dried herbs.  In the background there was a hint of mint with some raspberry.  The raspberry on the finish lingered on the palate.

Overall this was a nice Cab Franc, even though it didn't have my spice.  Not sure how long it has been sitting in our cellar since we are members of their wine club.  You might be able to purchase it from Goosecross if they have any left.


No comments: