Thursday, August 11, 2011

In Search of Rosé - De Rosa Rosé

Sitting out on the deck discussing the Hudson Valley Wine Competition with John and Michael, John uncorked a 2010 De Rosa Rosé from Roanoke Vineyards he recently purchased on a trip to Long Island Wine Country.  I was so excited because I am in search of Rosé and haven't been able to get to the North Fork.  So I grabbed phone for the picture and my notebook for the tasting notes.

This Rosé is from Roanoke Vineyards on the North Fork of Long Island - better known as "Long Island Wine Country."  It is a blend of 60% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc, 6% Cabernet Sauvignon and 20% Chardonnay.  That's quite a blend.  It has .5% residual sugar and was tank fermented.

The color on this Rosé was a pale salmon.  If I was to purchase this wine based on color, I would have overlooked it.  I like my Rosé a little more pinkish.  Maybe that's the girl in me.  I am also wondering if the Chardonnay had any effect on the palish color.

The wine had aromas of orange peel, grenache and roses leading the way to a crisp palate with fresh citrus fruits and hints of raspberry. The finish was a little bitter.

This wine sells for $18.

I am still waiting for that WOW factor.

No comments: