Thursday, June 4, 2009

Aroma of the morning air

The other night I opened a 2007 Palaia Traiminette. Traiminette is a hybrid grape. 'Traminette' is a late mid-season white wine grape (Fig. 1) which produces wine with pronounced varietal character likened to one of its parents, 'Gewürztraminer'. 'Traminette' is distinguished by its superior wine quality combined with good productivity, partial resistance to several fungal diseases, and cold hardiness superior to its acclaimed parent, 'Gewürztraminer'.(info from nysaes.cornell.edu)

Now that you understand the grape variety I was tasting, on with the notes. On the nose with a deep inhale reminded me of flowers on a spring morning. Maybe Morning Glorie. There was a sweetness that turned nto a spicy dry finish. On the mid palate I tasted honeysuckle.

As the wine began to open the sweetness became more prominent.

This morning I got up and walked, taking in the scenery. I didn't have my ipod because I brought the dog with me. Talking to the dog and spending time with her is more important than listening to music and singing (easier on my neighbors ears too:) As I passed my favorite spot that overlooks the Catskills, I took a deep breath. OMG....I smelled the Traminette from the night before. For about a 1/4 mile I smelled the flowers of the aroma from the wine the previous night. What a smile that brought to my face.


No comments: