Thursday, June 4, 2009

Aroma of the morning air

The other night I opened a 2007 Palaia Traiminette. Traiminette is a hybrid grape. 'Traminette' is a late mid-season white wine grape (Fig. 1) which produces wine with pronounced varietal character likened to one of its parents, 'Gew├╝rztraminer'. 'Traminette' is distinguished by its superior wine quality combined with good productivity, partial resistance to several fungal diseases, and cold hardiness superior to its acclaimed parent, 'Gew├╝rztraminer'.(info from nysaes.cornell.edu)

Now that you understand the grape variety I was tasting, on with the notes. On the nose with a deep inhale reminded me of flowers on a spring morning. Maybe Morning Glorie. There was a sweetness that turned nto a spicy dry finish. On the mid palate I tasted honeysuckle.

As the wine began to open the sweetness became more prominent.

This morning I got up and walked, taking in the scenery. I didn't have my ipod because I brought the dog with me. Talking to the dog and spending time with her is more important than listening to music and singing (easier on my neighbors ears too:) As I passed my favorite spot that overlooks the Catskills, I took a deep breath. OMG....I smelled the Traminette from the night before. For about a 1/4 mile I smelled the flowers of the aroma from the wine the previous night. What a smile that brought to my face.


Post a Comment