Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WBW - California Inspiration

California is where it all began. A trip to Napa in 1997 before a friends wedding, led us into the world of wine. Not knowing much, I stopped to see a travel colleague and he sent us up the Silverado Trail. We came home with what we later learned was some really good wine! It was a good thing we cellared it. (Silver Oak and Staggs Leap)

Because we enjoyed it so, I searched the then young Internet for a wine club to join. I came across a winery called Goosecross in Napa. I didn't know anything about them, but I liked their label. I joined, I liked, I shared.

What I later learned when my friend from CA was in town in 2000 was that she knew the owners of Goosecross. Having just placed an order, I emailed Colleen and told her of our mutual friend. What we later learned was that her husband David and I both grew up in our young childhood in New Rochelle, NY not to far from one another. Six degrees of seperation.

Now over 10 years later, I am still a member of their wine club. I visit when I'm in the Napa area and I send clients their as well, we exchange Christmas cards, it's a friendship that's been created over a label and a desire to join a wine club.

Since the picture above which was taken July 22, 2006 while fishing off the coast of Cape Cod with a bottle of Goosecross Syrah, I opened a 2006 Goosecross Syrah that recently came in my wine club shipment.

The Syrah had alcohol on the nose at first. But as it opened the vanilla came out. I could taste cherry in the back of my palate. It was oaky and on the finish had earthy spice with some toasted oak. I know this will improve within the next year as the flavors will come forward.

This Syrah sells for $34 on their website.

Now that I have a smile on my face from the memories and friendship created over this wine, I look forward to stopping by in July when I'm in the area for the Wine bloggers conference.

3 comments:

Sonadora said...

We just stopped in at Goosecross on our recent trip to CA! Had never been there before and wanted to check it out based on their interaction in social media. Interesting place, wish it had been a tad less crowded as it was packed!

hvwinegoddess said...

You should have told me, I would have hooked you up! Their wines are very good! Many are good to cellar for a few years. I think I still have a 1997 Aeros in my cellar

Anonymous said...

That was a fun day...rain and all. Good times, good wine. Looking forward to this year!! Sharon