Wednesday, April 15, 2009

WBW #56 Kosher Wines


I had great plans for this blog. In the Hudson Valley we have one of the two Kosher wineries in New York State. Kedem Winery which is part of the Royal Wine Corporation makes their home in Marlboro, NY. I pass this winery quite often as I drive up/down Route 9W, but have never stopped in. I called them Monday and the message on the machine said they were open 10a - 5p. So at lunch time I took a ride up and to my disappointment they were closed. Bummer!

In keeping with tradition, I did go to Arlington Wines & Liquor and picked up a bottle from the Herzog Selection - 2002 Bordeaux. The Herzog Family owns Royal Wine Corp and Kedem Winery.

The wine was inexpensively priced at $13.99. This Merlot comes from the Entre-Deux-Mers region of France

On the nose I found it earthy with cherry. This was definitely stainless steel fermented. It had the light stainless steel taste. Not bad, but light. There were flavors of black cherry on the front with dark chocolate on the end.

This was quite an education, as when I was in the wine store, I didn't realize how many Koser wines there were. This is coming from someone who was brought up in a Jewish household. I thought the only Kosher wine was Manishevitz.




8 comments:

cliche chic said...

What's the other kosher winery in NY? And does the Kedem Winery upstate do events, such as weddings? Thanks!

hvwinegoddess said...

I am not sure if Kedem does weddings, you will need to give them a call.

The other Kosher Winery is located in central NY.

cliche chic said...

Wow, that was fast...amazing!

do you know anything about:

Abarbanel Wine Company, LLC
247 Merrick Road,
Lynbrook, NY 11563
Tel: 1 - 516 - 374 - 2240
Fax: 1 - 516 - 374 - 2565


We're looking to plan a fall wedding--something different and low-key but for a lot of people--but it needs to be kosher and have kosher wines. My sister got married last summer in Sonoma (Healdsburg), and we loved the idea of being in the wine country, so since we live in NY (Israel, at the moment) we thought of looking at LI and upstate, for a vineyard, winery, or barn location. Rustic but elegant...ha

I guess Red Fern Cellars was once affliated with Peconic Bay Winery on LI's North Fork, but no longer... Anyhow, thanks so much.

What's the kosher winery in central NY?

Thanks SO much.

hvwinegoddess said...

I believe they are a importer. Contact the New York Wine & Grape Foundation. I can't remember the name of the winery, but they would know.

Unknown said...

i know of a kosher winery in monticello, NY

msb said...

Manischewitz is part of the large Centerra wine group and is produced at Widmere Wine Cellars.

Red Fern Cellars has gotten some good ratings. Although the winery itself is in Nassau County, the grapes are from the North Fork.

There is also a kosher winery somewhere near Lake Erie -- I thought they were no longer in business, until I ran across it recently, but I am now blanking out again on the name.

The new City Winery in NYC also produces kosher & non-kosher wines.

BTW: The Kedem wine sales facility is much nicer on the inside than you might expect from the industrial look on the outside.

kosherwineshop said...

Everyone loves Kosher wine. The story behind its production draws attention, and the taste makes you dependent.

Anonymous said...

i just stopped by the kosher winery in moticello (called Monticello Winery-Allied Wine Corporation) they have some great wines in thier tasting room