Monday, March 10, 2008

New York Wine Expo


Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend the New York Wine Expo at the Javits Center it New York City. Who do you think we run into but Joe from Arlington Liquors. Actually we were all on the same train..the 9:33a from Poughkeespie.

The show ran from 12p – 4p, so we had a lot of ground to cover. There were wines from all over the world. We started with California. Our friend Pam from J. Lohr was there. Since we had tasted their offerings at Mohegan Sun, we passed on what they were pouring. There were lots of wines to cover.

We started with Joseph Carr of Napa Valley, with THE Joseph Carr pouring our wines. His Chardonnay was very good, as were all his wines we tasted. I did find out that he is coming out with an affordable brand (under $15) called Josh Cellars. You can look for that come late spring.

We spent a lot of time in Zin Alley. There were many tables of Zinfandel producers from California. I lost my husband here. Most of the Zins we tasted were very good. I didn't care for the "organic" Zin. One that stood out as a must purchasae, was "Redemption Zin." This is produced by Alexander Valley Vineyards. They also produce Sin Zin. They did tell us that Redemption Zin is a small production..I will have to find and order a case. If you want to know more about the Zinfandel producers there's a website www.zinfandel.org where you can find out all about Zinfandel.

There was a table of New Zealand producers, but I will tell you, I didn't like any of the Sauvignon Blanc I tasted it.

Argentina was represented by a good turn out of producers. I stopped by Bodega Catena Zapata to taste their wine. When I've sent clients to Mendoza, Bodega Catena Zapata is always included on their wine tours. It was fitting that I stop by and say hello and taste their wines. Their06 Chardonnay was very good, aged 9 months in French oak. Nice and buttery. Retails for $15.99. Also their 2006 Malbec which was aged for 12 months in 70% French oak and 30% American oak was good. This too retailed for about $15.99. Many of the Argentina wines that I tasted were very good and inexpensive.

Also represented was New York with an isle of Finger Lake producers and Long Island producers. One producer Warwick Vally Winery was present representing the Hudson Valley.

The pictures here are of Patricio Gouguenheim who is the owner and winemaker for Gouguenheim Winery in Mendoza, Argentina. He came all this way to NY to pour wine and introduce the public to his product.

We had a good time and tasted some wonderful wines.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the NY Wine Expo. You mentioned the New York wine pavilion. Recently 34 of the 2006 Finger Lake Rieslings were reviewed by Wine Spectator. Visit http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.blogspot.com. Keep you eyes open for the 2007 Rieslings that are comming soon!

hvwinegoddess said...

Hi Morgen,

You bet I'll keep my eyes open for the 2007 Finger Lakes Rieslings. They've been very good in the past. Knowing that and the fantastic 2007 growing season, I have high expectations!! I hope there are still some left for the Hudson Valley Wine Festival in September.