Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cooking and Wine

A little wine for me and a little wine for the food. That's sometimes how I cook. Last night I wanted something sweet, so instead of snacking on Oreo's I opened a bottle of Glorie Farm Winery "Jumpin Jazz" which is slightly on the sweet side and started cooking dinner.

I had found this recipe in this months edition of Rachael Ray. It was for bean enchiladas. A very easy dish to make. I substituted the chicken broth for Wine.

Here is the recipe:

Vegetable Oil

8 cloves garlic chopped

2 cans cannellini beans, drained

1/3 cup white wine

Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas

2 cups store bought salsa (I used Newman's bean and corn salsa)

1 ½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese or whatever cheese you have in the fridge

In a sauce pan, coat bottom with some vegetable oil and saute garlic about 3 minutes. Add beans and sauté 1 minute then stir in semi sweet white wine. Mash beans until soften and the look like mashed potatoes. Let cool slightly.

Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a small skillet add oil and fry corn tortilla for 3 seconds on each side and transfer to baking sheet to drain. Place ¼ cup of mashed beans in tortilla, roll and transfer to greased 13x9 baking dish. Top with salsa and cheese.

Bake in oven at 375 for about 20 minutes.

Serve with what is left in the bottle of wine or open a new one.

No comments: