Monday, October 1, 2007

Hadley Zin


As I sit here and wait for my husband to get home from work the DHL man arrived with a delivery. Two bottles of Handley wine from the California Wine Club. I was worried about the wine all weekend since I missed Mr DHL on Friday. All weekend my wine sat in some warehouse that I hope was temperature controlled.

I decided to open the Zin to make sure it weathered it's warehouse stay. As I swirl the wine in the glass I get the aromas of cherry, pomegranate, blackberries. As I take my first sip...I taste cherry and plum on the finish. This 2003 Handley Zin weathered it's warehous stay just fine.

This Zin comes from both the Redwood Valley, in an inland part of Mendocino County and the Anderson Valley. (all north of Sonoma) This Zin was aged in French and American oak barrels for 8 1/2 months.

The final blend was 68% Zin from the Redwood Valley, 30% Zin from the Anderson Valley and 2% Zin from the Mendocino Ridge. Each Zin will bring it's own characteristics to the wine. The Redwood Valley fruit offers dark berry qualities and the AndersonValley fruit delivers bright cherry flavors.

This will pair well with roast lamb and many pasta dishes with tomato sauce...or pizza if you don't have time to cook and need a quick take out.

No comments: